One of the primary distinguishing factors that differentiate a health-focused practice from a disease treatment focused practice is this: the health-focused practice will place an equal emphasis on identifying the factors which cause disease and eliminating them, in addition to treatment of the diseased condition. The disease treatment focused practice will merely be looking for what’s broken so they can fix it. In other words, they just treat the “symptoms” instead of the root cause of the problem.
Today it is possible to change a mouth from one that gets cavities and gum disease, to one that won‘t. All that is required is a slightly different approach, more knowledge and understanding on your part as to HOW and WHY dental disease occurs. Since both caries (dental decay) and periodontal disease are caused by bacterial infections, it is important to address the underlying infections in each case. We are able to test for cariogenic infections (the bacteria that cause tooth decay) using our CariFree system. For those with moderate to high levels of cariogenic bacteria, we can prescribe the appropriate CariFree rinse to eliminate this infection from your mouth.
At each Dental Wellness appointment, in addition to an Oral Cancer Exam & Cavity Detecting Exam, several additional evaluations are completed which together give us more information about your present Dental Health. These tests evaluate your past Dental Health, tell us your potential for dental disease today, and help us prevent dental disease in the future.
Gum Disease is the primary cause of tooth loss in adults, in contrast to children up to the age of 20, in which tooth decay is the primary cause. From that time forward, the bacteria that constantly form in our mouths are more likely to produce Gum Disease than anything else in adults.
Objectives of the Dental Wellness Program:
- To prevent dental disease from occurring in the first place.
- To identify DISEASE PROCESSES in early stages and to arrest and control disease and preserve natural teeth.
- To put as much emphasis on treating the CAUSES of disease as we do treatment of the SYMPTOMS.
- To maintain and restore the tissues of your mouth to a state of OPTIMAL DENTAL HEALTH with corrective procedures as necessary.
- To give you complete up-to-date OBJECTIVE information about the state of your dental health.