We are open - safety is our top priority!
Could your Child be Suffering from a Tooth Sensitivity?
If your child is complaining of pain or discomfort when eating foods that are hot or cold in temperature, he or she may be suffering from tooth sensitivity. Sensitive teeth in children can be attributed to a variety of factors. In truth, it is not likely that your child has sensitive teeth, but may be experiencing a similar sensation that can be remedied when the root cause is identified. As a parent, knowing all the possibilities of tooth sensitivity is necessary to helping your child find relief and preventing the condition from worsening.
If your child seems to be struggling with sensitive teeth, it may be a result of one of the following reasons, so seek the advice of a qualified, affordable dentist in Sweetwater.
- Cavities. Children don’t typically experience sensitivity as a result of improper brushing or poor dental care, so the most likely reason your child is experiencing tooth sensitivity is due to a cavity.
- New teeth. New teeth, freshly exposed to air and food, can cause sensitivity. As the teeth become adjusted to the environment, the uncomfortable sensations should diminish.
- A broken or cracked tooth. Grinding or clenching their teeth or a misaligned bite can cause small fractures in the teeth that may result in sensitivity.
- Fillings. Silver amalgam fillings can cause hot/cold sensitivity due to the metal’s high thermal conductivity. If your child has fillings, this could be the cause of their discomfort.
- Sinuses and allergies. Sinus and allergy issues can cause a similar sensation to tooth sensitivity due to the pressure associated with these conditions. You can determine if this is the cause of discomfort by tapping the tooth. If the sensation is present, it is not caused by sinuses or allergies.
- Improper brushing. Tooth sensitivity at a young age is not likely related to improper brushing. However, you can ensure your child does not struggle with sensitive teeth later in life by encouraging good dental care, including proper brushing techniques. Teach your child to use a soft circular motion to help preserve the tooth’s enamel and protect the nerves of the teeth.
- Orthodontics. Children with braces have a tendency to use a hard, back and forth motion when brushing, particularly isolated to the gum line. This can scrub away the tooth’s protective enamel and lead to tooth sensitivity over time. Much like children without braces, brushing should be conducted in a gentle circular motion.
If your child is experiencing tooth sensitivity, be certain to discuss this with their family dentistry professional at their next appointment. If the pain or discomfort is more severe, you should contact your dentist in Sweetwater for an appointment as soon as possible to determine the root cause of your child’s complaints.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Sweetwater, call today at or make an appointment.
Advanced Dental Care offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Sweetwater. With 21 affiliated practices throughout Florida, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At , we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at .